Do you want to learn how to play casino card games? Then you have come to the right place. In this guide, you will learn everything you need to know about the world’s most iconic casino card games, including blackjack, casino hold’em and baccarat. Not only will you learn the standard rules of these games, but we will also show you the strategies and give you some useful tips that will help you get started.
An introduction to card games
Card games have been around for centuries. Historians believe the first playing cards were invented during the Tang dynasty in China in the 9th century AD. Various types of card games have been played in many countries and empires throughout history, including Egypt and several countries in Asia. The modern 52-card deck we use today was introduced in Europe hundreds of years ago.
Did you know that there are more ways to arrange a deck of cards than there are atoms on Earth? The number of possible card combinations is virtually infinite. In fact, every time you shuffle a deck of cards, chances are that you create a combination of cards that has never existed before. It is this randomness that makes cards so well-suited for gambling.
Cards have been used in casinos for a very long time. Iconic games such as blackjack, baccarat and poker are among the most iconic gambling games of all time and are played in casinos from Vegas to Macau. These card games offer a high level of excitement and are as popular today as they were decades ago.
Why you should learn the rules and strategy of casino card games
There are a wide number of casino card games that can be played both in real casinos and on the internet. In this guide, we will mainly focus on the top three most played games: blackjack, baccarat and poker. These are games you will find in virtually every real casino out there, as well as in our casino lobby and live casino.
The main difference between card games and other types of casino games is that some card games have an element of skill to them. If you don’t know the rules and the basic strategies before playing, you’re unlikely to leave the table with a profit. Although luck plays a major factor in games like blackjack, it’s a bad idea to play without knowing when you should stand and when you should draw another card. It is this element that makes card games so appealing to many players.
Another benefit of card games is that they generally have a low house edge compared to slots and other casino games. If you play optimally, some variations of blackjack offer an RTP (return to player) of more than 99%. Baccarat has one of the highest payout percentages of all casino games - up to 98.94% if you place your bets on the Banker.
In the next part of this beginner’s guide, we will go over three common card games. You will learn the rules of each game, as well as the basic strategies for winning. Once you understand how the games are played, you will be ready to take a seat at the table, place your chips, and play your first hand.
How to play cards: the most popular casino card games
Thanks to the internet, players all over the world can play card games. You can enjoy your favourite card game wherever and whenever you want, which means there has never been a better time to get started. If you are looking to learn how to play casino games like blackjack and baccarat, just keep reading.
Blackjack is an iconic card game that is easy to learn and master. The aim of the game is very straightforward: to get to as close to 21 as possible without going over - or “busting”. In addition, you play against a dealer who also tries to get to 21. Blackjack is often played with multiple players simultaneously, but the hands are played independently of each other.
How to play blackjack:
- At the beginning of the round, two cards are dealt to both the player and the dealer.
- Your cards are dealt face up, while only the dealer’s first card is visible.
- When it’s your turn to act, you can choose to hit to receive another card or to stand to keep your current hand.
- If you are dealt two cards of the same value - for example, two nines - you can choose to split your cards into two separate hands.
- Finally, there’s a double bet that is available in some spots. This bet doubles your initial bet, and you will receive exactly one more card.
The key to winning in blackjack is making the right move in every situation. Keep an eye on the dealer’s card and base your actions on your own hand and the dealer’s hand. In some situations, it is best to stand and let the dealer bust instead of trying to improve your own hand. Remember that the dealer must take a new card on 16 and below and stand on 17 and higher. It is equally important to learn when you should split and double your hands.
Baccarat, also known as Punto Banco, is a classic card game that has been played since the Napoleonic era. Today, it is enjoyed by millions of gamblers around the globe. Although the rules may seem a bit confusing at first, baccarat is actually one of the easiest casino games out there. It’s a simple card game that offers quick action and instant rewards.
How to play casino card game baccarat:
- The aim is to bet on whether the Player or the Banker will win by having the hand value closest to 9.
- In each round, you can place three different bets: Player, Banker or a tie.
- When all the bets have been accepted, the dealer deals two cards to each position.
- The cards have the following values: Aces are worth 1 point, 2 to 9 are worth their face value, and 10, J, Q and K are worth 0 points.
- If the score of a hand exceeds 9, 10 points are subtracted from it. In some rounds, a third card is required in order to determine a winner.
Since baccarat is a game that is based on luck, no advanced strategy is needed. However, you should keep in mind that the Banker wins more frequently than the Player (45,84% of the time vs. 44.61% of the time) and thus has a slightly higher RTP. Most baccarat games take a small commission on Banker bets to offset the difference. You should also know that the tie bet has the highest house edge.
Poker is usually played with several players, but some variations are played against a dealer instead of other players. In casino poker games such as casino hold’em, three card poker and Caribbean stud, the goal is to beat the dealer by having the best hand at the end of the round. In each round, you will choose whether to keep playing or throw your cards into the muck if you don’t think you can beat the dealer.
How to play casino poker: There are many variations of casino poker, all with their own rules and optimal strategies. What all of them have in common is that you want to have the best poker hand at the end of the round. In casino hold’em, for example, you can choose to keep playing or folding your hand after each round of dealing. Additionally, in some casino poker variations, the payouts are based on the quality of your hand.
Useful card game tips for beginners
Now that you know how to play casino games like blackjack and baccarat, you’re probably excited to try your luck at the tables. But before you get started, we want to provide you with a few quick tips that will help you along the way. Check them out below.
- Learn the rules: It is essential to learn the rules before playing. For example, you should know how to play casino game blackjack before risking your own money. Take a few minutes to read through the rules and some strategies before you place your chips - it will be well worth it.
- Play in practice mode: Most card games are available in practice mode, which means you can try them out with play money. This is one of the best ways to learn how to play casino card games.
- Manage your bankroll: Remember that playing card games is gambling, and you should always use proper bankroll management. Don’t play with money you can’t afford to lose.
- Be aware of the side bets: Many card games offer various types of side bets with extra payouts. These can spice up the game and offer bigger rewards, but keep in mind that they often have a higher house edge.
- Explore different game variations: There is a whole world of exciting card games to explore, and many games come in multiple versions. Try out variations like single deck blackjack, baccarat squeeze and other types to discover your favourites.
- Play against real dealers: If you want the most immersive gameplay experience, you should try the card games in our live casino. Live games are played with real cards and professional dealers.
Practice popular casino card games at Boom Casino
You can play all the popular casino card games in our game lobby for free. This so-called play for fun mode let’s you practice and hone your skills without betting any real money. Once you have mastered the rules of your favourite card game, you can claim our generous welcome bonus and start chasing real money wins!